Rhino is the premier early-stage venture fund in Canada, with investments in some of the most promising early-stage technology companies including Article,Thinkific, and FISPAN.
We’re searching for an exceptional and highly motivated Vice President to play a critical role on our investment team. This position will operate with a high degree of autonomy offering the potential to have a significant impact on the early-stage Canadian tech ecosystem. In this position, you will be responsible for identifying high potential early stage (pre-seed to seed) startups, building and managing relationships with them, supporting our diligence processes, and providing leadership to our analysts. This is a challenging position requiring the ideal candidate to be motivated, entrepreneurial, confident, able to work with minimal supervision, and willing to get involved in many different aspects of the business, as required.
This position will be responsible for leading our pre-seed allocation and will oversee our earliest stage investments. A number of these investments are expected to graduate into our core investment allocation. This role will resemble a partner level function, owning relationships with entrepreneurs and requiring you to act as a trusted partner for them.
As a member of Rhino, you will be responsible for the following:
● Portfolio Company Support: This role represents a partner level function for our earliest stage investments and will require you to be responsive to their requests, identify and leverage opportunities for relationship enhancement, and raise issues / opportunities to the investment team as required
● Sourcing: Managing pipeline of inbound leads from co-investors,entrepreneurs, and others within the ecosystem and generating outbound opportunities through industry research, conferences, and networking
● Diligence: Supporting our analysts on all aspects of the due diligence process on new investment opportunities (e.g. business analysis,industry assessment, competitive landscape, financial modelling, etc.)
● Industry Research: In collaboration with the rest of the investment team, conducting market research and developing theses on industries of interest
● Team Meetings: Participate in Rhino’s weekly team meetings at which new investments and portfolio companies are discussed
● Leadership: This role will have at least one direct report (analyst)over which you will be responsible for providing mentorship, coaching, andsupport
● Post-secondary education in a Business, Entrepreneurship, Finance,Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant area, with a track record of academic and/or professional success
● 5-7 years of work experience in a relevant area (e.g. general startup experience, founder experience, business analyst, product management,investment banking, consulting, PE/VC)
● Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to develop effective relationships
● Superior work ethic with an ownership and entrepreneurial mentality with uncompromising personal integrity
● Strong passion for investing and evaluating investment opportunities both quantitatively and qualitatively
● Demonstrated interest in technology and/or finance
● Independent, with limited need for supervision and self-driven to gettasks done
● Ability to “figure it out” and solve a range of problems and tasks
● Capable of managing many projects in parallel with an ability to prioritize
At Rhino, we believe in an “Ownership Mindset” where you’ll be given autonomy with the ability to own your work. We reward that ownership mindset by offering competitive compensation, including carried interest for every team member. Additionally, you’ll enjoy a flexible work environment* (just get your work done - we don’t care how you do it) and unlimited vacation (yes, we actually use it).
Successful applicants will exemplify the firm's core values: (i) Be Trustworthy, (ii) Be Entrepreneurial, (iii) Enjoy the Ride!
Interested applicants should send their resume to Candace Hobin (email@example.com) along with a brief video (<90 seconds) on why they are interested in working at Rhino.
*It is preferable for the successful candidate to be based in or relocate to Vancouver, BC, however, remote options (Canada only) will be considered for the right candidate. This posting will remain live until the position has been filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest and hope to welcome you to our team!